Medicare 101 Solution
Your Trusted Advisor. It’s our Privilege to serve you.

Getting started

Pay Part A & Part B premiums

If you get Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) benefits, your Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance)premium

will get deducted from your benefit payment.

If you’re a federal retiree with an annuity from OPM and NOT entitled to RRB or SSA benefits:

You can request to have your Part B premiums deducted from your annuity. Call us at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) to make your request.

If you have limited income and resources:

Your state may help you pay for Part A, and/or Part B. You may also qualify for Extra Help to pay for your Medicare prescription drug coverage.

Will I get a bill for my Part A or Part B premiums?

If you sign up for Part B and you don't get Social Security, RRB, or Civil Service benefits, you'll get a bill called a “Medicare Premium Bill” (CMS-500).

If you buy Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance)or you owe Part D income-related monthly adjustment amount (IRMAA), you'll always get a “Medicare Premium Bill” (CMS-500) each month for your premium.

There are 4 ways to pay your Medicare bill:

  1. Pay directly from your bank account through your bank's online bill payment service. Contact your bank or go to their website to set up this service.
  2. Sign up for Medicare Easy Pay, a free service that automatically deducts your premium payments from your savings or checking account each month. We'll deduct your premium from your bank account, usually on the 20th of the month.
  3. Pay by check or money order. Mail your Medicare payment coupon and payment to:

    Medicare Premium Collection Center
    PO Box 790355
    St. Louis, MO 63179-0355

  4. Pay by credit card or debit card. Complete the bottom portion of the payment coupon and sign it. Payments submitted without the bottom portion of the payment coupon may not be processed. You'll need to provide the account information as it appears on your card and the expiration date. Most credit cards today only have the month and year in expiration date field. If your credit card only has a month and year in the expiration date, fill in the month and year on the payment coupon and leave the day field blank. Mail your payment to the address above.


If you get your bill from the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB), the payments options explained on this page don't apply. You or your bank must mail your premium payments to:

RRB, Medicare Premium Payments
PO Box 979024
St. Louis, MO 63197-9000

Pay attention to the type of bill you get

If the box in the upper right corner says It means Do this
This is not a bill Your premium payment will be automatically deducted from your bank account each month. You don’t need to do anything.
First Bill This is your very first bill, or you’ve paid your last bill in full. Send in a payment for the total amount shown by the 25th (Medicare premiums are due by the 25th of the month). For example, if the billing date on the First Bill is January 27th, send in payment by February 25th.
Second Bill Medicare didn’t get payment by the due date shown on the First Bill (25th of the month). Send in a payment for the total amount shown by the 25th of the month. For example, if the billing date on the Second Bill is February 27th, send in payment by March 25th.
Delinquent Bill Medicare didn’t get the payment by the due date shown on the Second Bill (25th of the month). Send in a payment for the total amount shown by the 25th of the month so that you don’t lose your Medicare coverage. For example, if the billing date on the Delinquent Bill is March 27th, send in payment by April 25th. This is the last bill you’ll get.

What if my premium payment is late?

If your premium is late, you'll get a Second Bill reminding you to pay your premium. If you don’t pay the premium by the due date for the Second Bill, you'll get a Delinquent Bill. If you get a Delinquent Bill and you don’t pay your premium by the 25th of the month, you’ll lose your Medicare coverage.

What do I do if I have questions about my bill or the status of my coverage?

Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778).